Water & Electric Efficiency New Year’s Checklist
Out with the old and in with the new – calendars, that is. With 2021 here, it’s a great opportunity to take a look at your home and see if there are any updates that need to be made to make it more efficient. A more efficient home is one that uses less, whether it be water or electricity. Less usage also means lower bills. Here’s a checklist that you can use at the start of every year to make sure your home is ready for an efficient new year.
- Get air conditioner serviced and cleaned.
- Check doors, windows and other openings for gaps. Look for light or listen for air escaping. Buy door sweeps if needed.
- Check behind your washing machine for signs of drips and leaks.
- Flush out hot water heater.
- Check toilets for leaks.
- Change any non-efficient light bulbs to LED.
- Look into replacing old equipment with more efficient ones.
- Look at the BPUB GreenLiving Rebate Program for qualifying home improvements that could get you money back.
- Schedule an energy audit.
- Evaluate home insulation.
- Plant shade trees or shrubs around your house, but make sure to follow our tips for preparing for spring!
This is just a start in your home efficiency journey. It’s an ongoing one to ensure that your home is running at an optimum performance. Visit BPUB’s GoGreen area for more tips on how to reduce your electric, water and wastewater consumption.