Duct Flow Performance
Efficient Duct Systems Optimize
the Home's Comfort Delivery System
To create a comfortable home, an efficient duct system is a must. Ducts - known collectively as the air distribution system - carry air from the central heater or air conditioner to each part of the home and back again.
In a typical house, about 20 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts. That's why the duct systems found in ENERGY STAR-qualified homes are third-party tested for tightness and verified to be correctly insulated.
Benefits of Efficient Duct Systems
Improved Comfort. When ducts are correctly sealed and insulated, they deliver conditioned air more effectively to all rooms - helping to ensure a more constant temperature throughout the home.
Lower Utility Bills. The average homeowner spends more than $600 on space heating and cooling each year. Tightly sealed and well-insulated ducts found in ENERGY STAR-qualified homes can reduce annual utility bills by $120 or more.
They improved Indoor Air Quality. Leaky ducts in attics, unfinished basements, crawl spaces, and garages can allow dirt, dust, moisture, pollen, pests, and fumes to enter the home. Sealing these ducts helps improve indoor air quality.
Lower Equipment Costs. When ducts are leaky, the heating and cooling system has to work harder to condition the home. Duct sealing, along with proper insulation, allows the installation of a smaller, less costly heating and cooling system.
Building Efficient Duct Systems
Techniques and practices that provide an efficient and effective duct system include:
- Replacement of existing ductwork or the repair and improvement of existing ductwork; for retrofit only.
- A licensed TACL contractor must do the work.
- A rebate of 25% of the cost to replace or repair the duct system, up to $500/ system.
- BPUB will pay for the final testing of the system or 50% of the cost of testing, up to $125/system.
- Initial duct blaster test to establish base leakage; final test to establish results; all results must be sent to BPUB.
- Pre-test must show at least 20% or more leakage in the duct system to qualify to participate.
- Post-testing of the repairs and replacement must show 10% or less leakage in the duct system to qualify.
- A HERS Certified Rater must do testing.
- Duct Performance Rebate Application
- Call (956) 983-6282 or email to verify your application was received.
- Terms & Conditions