BPUB Prepares for Extreme Cold Weather Event
As a strong cold front is expected to hit Texas near the holidays, the Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB) is preparing in anticipation of the demands this weather will have on the city’s infrastructure.
Some of the preparations that BPUB crews are conducting include:
- Ensuring all vehicles and equipment are fueled and/or charged
- Assigning additional standby personnel
- Deploying tree trimmers to areas with a history of issues
- Checking insulation on all lines at water plants
- Reviewing all emergency procedures
The Electrical Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) already predicts that this weather event could result in record winter electric use. BPUB will keep customers up to date on any changes or requests in the ERCOT system.
BPUB customers are also encouraged to prepare for the cold weather. Here are some tips:
- Protect faucets, outdoor pipes and exposed pipes in unheated areas by wrapping them with rags, newspaper, trash bags or plastic foam
- Open the cabinets under sinks in your kitchen and bathrooms to allow heated indoor air to circulate around the water pipes
- Let indoor faucets drip (a stream of water isn’t necessary) when freezing temperatures are expected
- Make sure you have a manual can opener, batteries and flashlight in case of an outage
- Never operate a generator inside a home or enclosed space, such as a garage
BPUB will keep customers up to date on any service interruptions or recommendations during this cold weather event. If customers have any questions, they can call 956-983-6121. To report an outage, customers should call 956-983-6300 or go to https://assist.brownsville-pub.com.