BPUB to Resume Seeing Customers by Appointment Only
BROWNSVILLE, TX – The Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB) will reopen the BPUB Administration Building to customers by appointment only starting Monday, May 3.
This will allow customers the opportunity to come in and talk to a BPUB representative face to face about issues or updates associated with their BPUB customer accounts. BPUB will not yet be opening the cashier stations located inside the Administration Building for payments; however, the five drive-thru lanes behind the Administration Building are open Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Customers interested in scheduling an appointment can call the new BPUB number dedicated for scheduling appointments at 956-983-6200. Appointments will be available Monday through Friday; no unscheduled walk-ins will be accepted. Only one person per appointment will be allowed inside the building. Customers must have all required documents, including valid government-issued identification, at the time of appointment.
Customers who schedule an appointment must follow these rules to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Face masks or facial coverings required.
- Screenings with no-touch thermometers will be required. Anyone with a temperature reading 100.4 or above will not be permitted.
- No waiting in the lobby allowed.
- Customers experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or who have recently tested positive for COVID-19 are asked to cancel any pending appointments and avoid going to the BPUB Administration Building.
Here are the steps for customers coming for an appointment:
- Customers should arrive 10-15 minutes ahead of the appointment time and wait for a phone call.
- When ready, a BPUB representative will call to alert the customer it’s time for the appointment.
- The customer will then be escorted to the Customer Service area after going through the temperature station.
Customers unable to meet these guidelines or who have a question or concern about a needed accommodation may seek assistance by phone or online.
- Online – Go to BPUB’s website, www.brownsville-pub.com/, for easy online access.
- Phone – Dial 956-983-6121 and follow the menu options to pay your bill. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Drop Box – While the Administration Building lobby will be closed, customers can still utilize the drop box at 1425 Robinhood Drive to leave payments.
- Drive-Thru – There are five drive-thru lanes behind the Administration Building open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- U.S. Mail – Payments may be mailed to P.O. Box 660566; Dallas, TX 75266-0566
- Autopay – Set it and forget it. This option allows customers to set up automatic payments each month through a credit card or checking account.
- Phone – Bill assistance is available to customers who are unemployed or underemployed (reduction of work hours, furloughed) as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Customers must be qualified by a third-party fund administrator, Community Action Corporation of South Texas, by calling 956-435-0379 or the Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley at 956-541-0220. There is additional information about BPUB’s various assistance programs on the BPUB website.
- Phone – Customer Service agents will still be available to handle payment arrangements by phone at 956-983-6121.
- Internet – Customers don’t even need to speak to a Customer Service agent to utilize the payment arrangement feature on the BPUB website.
Connection/Disconnection of Service
- Phone – Customers who need to open a new service account or close an existing account can do so by phone at 956-983-6121.
- Internet – Customers can skip the phone call and go right to the BPUB website.
In the interest of social distancing, customers can save the BPUB web app to their phones. It is accessible at https://assist.brownsville-pub.com and can be saved to the desktop of any phone or mobile device. It’s a one-stop portal to report any type of service issue or pay a bill.
Any official statement regarding changes to BPUB’s daily operations will be posted on BPUB’s official social media channels as well as the BPUB website.
BPUB will continue to make any changes as appropriate to ensure continuity of service for all BPUB customers during this time. For more information, customers can call 956-983-6121 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or visit the website at www.brownsville-pub.com, Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/brownsvillepub or Twitter at https://twitter.com/BPUB_Tweets.