For your safety, please report downed lines or power interruptions at
(956) 983-6300. Never attempt to remove damaged power lines from your home or property. Call (956) 983-6300 or 911 to report downed lines.
Below are some helpful electrical safety tips.
and water don't mix. Keep all electrical products and cords, such
as radios, televisions, hairdryers, or curling irons, away from
water, including sinks or bathtubs.
reach into the water to get an appliance that has fallen in without
first unplugging the appliance.
the toaster or toaster oven before using a knife or fork to remove
stuck bread or bagels.
allow pets to chew on electrical cords.
safety covers on all wall outlets. Avoid ornamental safety caps that
may tempt a child to play with wall outlets.
leave lamp sockets empty. Always replace burned out light bulbs immediately.
extension cords on a temporary basis because they are not safe as permanent
household wiring. Make sure the cord is not wrapped around itself or
another object. Be sure the selected cord meets the intended use and
check the electrical rating on both the appliance and extension cord.
Do not plug one extension cord to another.
not run electrical cords underneath rugs, carpets, or furniture. Walking
on cords can break wiring and possibly cause a fire.
all electrical cords out of reach and out of sight to avoid children
or pets from pulling appliances off tables or counters.
plugs seem to fit loosely into a wall outlet, the wall outlet needs
repair. A loose fitting wall outlet may cause overheating. Call an electrician
to examine the outlet.
only extension cords that have been listed by a recognized certification
sure cords are in good condition - not frayed or cracked. Be sure they
are placed out of traffic areas. Cords should never be nailed or stapled
to the wall, baseboard, or to another object. In addition, cords should
never have any furniture resting on them.
to see that extension cords are not overheated. Additionally, extension
cords should only be used on a temporary basis, as they are not safe
as permanent household wiring.
the wattage of all light bulbs in lighting fixtures to make sure they
are the correct wattage for the size of the fixture. Replace bulbs that
have higher wattage than recommended. The correct wattage can be found
in the owner's manual. Make sure bulbs are screwed in securely because
loose bulbs may overheat.
one appliance repeatedly blows a fuse or trips a circuit breaker, or
if it has emitted an electric shock, the appliance should be unplugged
and repaired or replaced.
not place electrical appliances near water.
off electrical products if a cord overheats.
only weather-resistant heavy gauge extension cords marked, "For
electrical products should be 1) plugged in and turned on only when
in use; 2) never left unattended outdoors; 3) turned off when being
carried or being hooked up to attachments like mower baskets or saw
outdoor outlets and electrical products covered and dry between uses.