Protect the home and increase comfort
Windows provide natural daylight and views, but homeowners often use drapes or blinds to cover them because of comfort concerns. ENERGY STAR-qualified windows and skylights allow owners to enjoy the light and views while saving money on utility bills and protecting valuable furnishings and finishes from sun damage. Independently tested for superior energy performance, ENERGY STAR-qualified windows and skylights are also better for the environment because lowering energy use helps reduce the emissions of greenhouse gases and air pollutants at the source.
Benefits of ENERGY STAR-Qualified Windows and Skylights
- Energy Savings. ENERGY STAR-qualified windows and skylights feature advanced technologies such as invisible glass coatings, vacuum-sealed spaces filled with inert gas between the panes, improved framing materials, better weather stripping and warm edge spacers, all of which reduce undesirable heat gain and loss.
- Improved Comfort. Compared to less efficient windows, ENERGY STAR-qualified windows help keep homes warmer in the winter and cooled in the summer. This is because they can block 70 percent or more of the solar heat gain in the summer and reflect radiant heat indoors during winter.
- Protection of Your Home's Interior. Photographs, furniture, flooring and window treatments can fade or discolor after repeated exposure to direct sunlight. An ENERGY STAR-qualified window with special (low-E) coatings can reduce fading. These coatings can reduce fading by as much as 75 percent.
- Reduced Condensation. If an inefficient window or window frame gets too cold, water can condense (or even freeze) on the interior surface and then pool on the sill. Over time, chronic condensation can damage window sills, cause paint to crack and encourage the growth of mold. Advanced frames, glass coatings, spacers and other technologies enable ENERGY STAR-qualified windows to keep the inner surface of the glass and frame warmer, reducing the potential for condensation and ensuring a clearer view on winter mornings.
- Rebate recipient must be a customer of BPUB electric services.
- The windows must be ENERGY STAR® certified. Confirm with seller before purchasing.
- Windows must be new and have a U-factor of 0.60 or less with a Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) of 0.27 or less.
- Program may be discontinued by BPUB at any time. Rebates are contingent upon fund availability.
- A one-time window credit application per account restriction.
- Rebate will be in the amount of 30% of invoice cost; up to $500.
- ENERGY STAR New Homes do not qualify.
- Applications are subject to verification. If the verification cannot be completed, the rebate will not be paid.
- Address of account must match address of installation.
- Applications must be completed and submitted within 30 days of installation of unit(s). Please allow 3-6 weeks after receipt of all documentation for the rebate to be issued.
- Call (956) 983-6282 or email to verify your application was received.
Look for the ENERGY STAR
To find energy-efficient windows and skylights, simply look for the ENERGY STAR. The ENERGY STAR guidelines for windows and skylights are tailored to four climate zones. For example, windows in the North are optimized to reduce heat loss in the winter, while windows in the South are optimized to reduce heat gain during the summer. This explains why windows that are energy efficient in Florida will not necessarily be energy efficient in Michigan.
Independent Testing for Energy Performance
The energy performance of all ENERGY STAR-qualified windows and skylights is independently tested and certified according to procedures established by the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC). NFRC is a third-party, nonprofit organization that sponsors certified rating and labeling programs to help consumers compare the energy and performance features of windows and skylights.
A Better Future
ENERGY STAR is a voluntary partnership between the government and more than 9,000 organizations, including more than 3,500 of the nation's home builders. Together with home buyers and their families, we are working to achieve a common goal — protecting the environment for future generations by changing to more energy-efficient practices and products today.
ENERGY STAR is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency. It identifies new homes, buildings and more than 50 types of products that are energy efficient and offer the features, quality and performance that today's consumers expect. Products that can earn the ENERGY STAR include windows, heating and cooling equipment, lighting, and appliances. To learn more about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.gov.