Download the Entry Form
Important Information Regarding Public Power Month Poster Contest Deadline
Deadline: Sept. 26, 2014 by 4 p.m.
Poster entries should be sent to:
Brownsville Public Utilities Board
ATTN: Miguel Collis, Web Services Coordinator
1425 Robinhood Drive
Brownsville, TX 78521
Open only to middle school and high school students in a household currently served by BPUB (verified by BPUB customer account number on contest entry form). Entries submitted by anyone under 18, the parent/legal guardian of that minor is required to sign photo entry form with the minor. Void elsewhere and where prohibited by law. See below for additional eligibility restrictions.
Open only to middle school and high school students in a household currently served by BPUB in Brownsville, attending a Brownsville area middle school. Void elsewhere and where prohibited by law. See below for additional eligibility restrictions.
The following individuals are not eligible: BPUB's employees, contractors, agents, board of directors and officers, and those of BPUB's subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and promotion agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Contest (collectively with BPUB, the "Contest Parties"), and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling or "step").
Poster Contest Submission Rules: The BPUB Communications and PR Department has set the following criteria for poster submissions. Please be sure to go over these to ensure compliance and avoid disqualification.
- Read all poster contest rules carefully.
- Poster contest Deadline: Sept. 26, 2014 by 4 p.m.
- Only middle school and high school students residing within the BPUB’s service area, and living at a residence served by BPUB as of the contest start date, are eligible. Entries submitted by anyone under 18, the parent/legal guardian of that minor is required to sign poster entry form with the minor. The Entrant's customer billing account number will be required to confirm Winner status.
- Posters must incorporate creative and original artwork and ideas. Originality is encouraged and depictions of known pop culture, cartoon, video game, and movie/television characters; celebrities; movie themes; and published poster designs are not recommended.
- Posters must deliver a clear and positive message about a simple way to conserve electricity around the home.
- Negative/violent themes and posters displaying messages that may be considered disturbing, inappropriate, bullying or hate messages will not be accepted or posted. The decision to accept or evaluate any poster will be the sole decision of BPUB and such decision shall be final.
- Student name or school must not be displayed on the front of the poster. Poster must have the BPUB Public Power Month Poster Contest entry form paper-clipped to the poster (not stapled or glued). Entry form must include student artist name, parent/guardian signature, school name, grade, mailing address, BPUB billing account number and telephone number.
- Posters must be on 8.5" x 11” paper. Paper must be plain white and unruled. Art on notebook paper will not be considered.
- Posters should not be laminated or mounted on mat board. Also, do not staple, glue, or tape entry forms to the backs of posters. Glitter use is strongly discouraged.
- Students may use a variety of media, such as watercolor, pen and ink, crayon, chalk, markers, etc. Keep in mind that winning posters may be reproduced or reprinted, so clear artwork and easy to read messages are best.
- If using the name of the Brownsville Public Utilities Board in the poster, the name must appear as the Brownsville Public Utilities Board or BPUB.
- Clip art, pictures from magazines and other print media, or any other copyrighted brand or product images will not be accepted.
- Art must be credited to one student. In the case of multiple name listings on one work, the first name will be considered the entrant.
- Deadline: Sept. 26, 2014 by 4 p.m. All posters should be turned in at the BPUB Administration Building locations at 1425 Robinhood Drive. Any work turned in after this time or at a different location will not be considered.
- Failure to comply with the guidelines could result in a disqualification of the poster.
Posters meeting the criteria will be uploaded by BPUB staff to the BPUB Facebook Page for People’s Choice judging on their compliance with the criteria listed above. Facebook People’s Choice judging period is from October 1, 2014 – October 10, 2014.
Selection of winners:
Middle School Division
- “Best Posters” Grand prize
- “Best Posters” People’s Choice (Most “Likes” on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/brownsvillepub)
- “Best Posters” Honorable Mention
High School Division
- “Best Posters” Grand prize
- “Best Posters” People’s Choice (Most “Likes” on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/brownsvillepub)
- “Best Posters” Honorable Mention
Winners will be selected by a judging process in which entries will be screened on all entry criteria before being posted to BPUB Facebook. Next, the general public judges “People’s Choice” entries based on "Likes" garnered by each. All potential Winners are subject to verification, including without limitation, verification of eligibility, compliance with these Rules and completion of all necessary documents. If attempted notification is returned as undeliverable, if a Winner cannot be verified, or if a Winner is otherwise unable to accept a Winning Prize, the Prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate Entrant in BPUB's discretion.
Entrants agree that the Judges have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions of the Judges are final and binding in all matters. Winners, by acceptance of their respective Winning Prize, agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless BPUB and Contest Parties, as well as each of their respective parent and affiliated companies, and each of their employees, representatives, contractors, advertisers and BPUBs from any and all liability, loss, damage, cost or claim relating to any allegation regarding the acceptance or use of their Winning Poster Prize, including but not limited to the commercial airing of the entries or portion(s) thereof.
- Relevancy & Effectiveness of Promoting Energy Efficiency and Conservation: 40%
- Creativity and Entertainment: 30%
- Clarity of Expression: 30%
Entries meeting the criteria listed above will be posted by BPUB staff to the BPUB Facebook Page for People’s Choice judging at https://www.facebook.com/brownsvillepub.
Only entries meeting the criteria listed in contest rules will be uploaded to BPUB Facebook page (at http://goo.gl/gLs0Nd) and displayed in the BPUB lobby during October. Entries uploaded by BPUB to the BPUB Facebook page are eligible for “People’s Choice” popular votes by number of “Likes”. Grand Prize will be selected by BPUB staff on relevance to topic. Honorable Mention Winner will be awarded by BPUB staff on basis of originality.
Winners will be notified via e-mail or telephone, depending on the contact information provided, on or about Monday, October 13, 2014.
Only entries meeting the criteria listed in contest rules will be uploaded to BPUB Facebook page and displayed in the BPUB lobby during October. Entries uploaded by BPUB staff to the BPUB Facebook Page are eligible for “People’s Choice” popular votes by number of “Likes” garnered. Grand Prize will be selected by BPUB staff on relevance to topic.
Please read carefully. Failure to comply with these terms could lead to a disqualification.
Contest terms: As conditions of entry into this Contest, and by submitting Posters, each Entrant:
- Entrants under the age of 18, must submit their contest entry form with the signature consent of parent/legal guardian who agree to the terms and rules of this Contest.
- Entrant(s) must reside within the BPUB’s service area, and be in a residence served by BPUB as of the Start Date. The Entrant's customer billing account number will be required to confirm Winner status.
- Represents and warrants that the Entrant owns all rights to the submissions Entrant is entering in this Contest.
- If using the name of the Brownsville Public Utilities Board in the Poster, the name must be said or appear as:
Brownsville Public Utilities Board or BPUB (not Public Utilities Board or PUB).
- Represents and warrants that Entrant's entry: (a) is original to the Entrant and has been legally obtained and created; (b) does not infringe or otherwise violate the intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights or any other legal rights of any third party, or violate applicable laws, or regulations; (c) has not been entered in or won previous contests or awards; and (d) has not been published previously in any medium;
- Irrevocably grants to Contest Parties and their affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional and perpetual right and permission to copyright (as appropriate), reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, distribute, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivatives works from, exhibit and/or otherwise use, reuse and exploit (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used and exploited), the Entrant's name, address, image, voice, likeness, statements, biographical material and the Posters, including, but not limited to, the entries contained in any of the above items (in each case, as submitted or as edited/modified in any way by the Contest Parties, in the Contest Parties' sole discretion), as well as any additional photographic images, video images, portraits, interviews or other materials relating to the Entrant and arising out of the Entrant’s participation in this Contest (with or without using the Entrant's name) (collectively, the "Additional Materials") in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from the Entrant or any other party.
- All entrants must acknowledge and agree that, if Entrant's entry is chosen as a winner (collectively “Winners”), the Entrant will by Sept. 26, 2014 (i) execute an affidavit confirming the Entrant’s and entry eligibility and releasing the Contest Parties from liability (an “Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release”), in which Entrant will irrevocably assign and transfer to the BPUB any and all rights, title and interest in the photos, including, without limitation, all copyrights; (ii) submit to BPUB the signed originals of the Consent and Release (as defined below) for each individual appearing in the photos (as further described below); (iii) submit to BPUB the signed originals of all licenses to copyrighted materials, if any are used, in the Posters; (iv) upon winning, deliver a copies of the Posters (via CD-ROM/DVD or upload, as directed) to BPUB in high-resolution .JPG or .PNG format.
8. All entrants must forever waive any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal rights that may preclude the Contest Parties' use of the Entrant's entry or additional materials that may require the Entrant's permission for Contest Parties to use them for any purpose, and agrees to never sue or assert any claim against the Contest Parties' use of those materials.
9. All entrants must agree to indemnify and hold the BPUB, its officers and employees harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees and expenses, including any incurred in enforcement of this indemnity) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Contest Parties due to or arising out of the Entrant's entry or additional materials in this Contest, or the Entrant's conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including, but not limited to, trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation.
10. All entrants must agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the BPUB, its officers and employees from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising, presentation, internet content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of BPUB or the Contest Parties from the Posters or materials contained herein infringes on the rights of any third party or of Entrant (other than with respect to elements of such content not derived from the entry).
All Entrants must have a valid e-mail address. Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on their respective Winning Poster Prizes, and will receive an IRS Form 1099 for the value of their Prize. No substitution of Winning Poster Prize is offered. Prizes are non-transferable. By participating, Entrants agree to the following: these full Rules, which are final and binding in all respects. Further, by participating, Entrants agree that the personal information collected from Entrants, may be used by BPUB to the extent permitted by law. Unclaimed Winning Prizes will not be awarded. Winners will be notified by phone or email on or about October 22, 2014, and will be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release, a Consent and Release form and a Prize Redemption Agreement by November 9, 2014 or the Winning Prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner may be named. Notification of Winner status must be kept confidential until publicly revealed by BPUB or the Winning Prize will be forfeited.
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, unsatisfactory Posters or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, BPUB reserves the right, at its sole discretion to cancel, modify or terminate the Contest. Further, BPUB reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual that BPUB determines to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any BPUB Website; (b) violating the Rules; (c) violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules or guidelines of any Facebook or BPUB Website; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. This Contest is offered only in Brownsville, Texas, United States and is governed by the laws of the State of Texas. All claims relating in any manner to this Contest or to any Photo must be resolved in the federal or state courts located in the State of Texas.
Limitations of liability and release: neither BPUB nor the Contest Parties shall be liable or responsible for any claims, damages or injuries or losses resulting from any person's participation in or attempt to participate in the Contest or ability or inability to upload or download any information or Photo(s) in connection with participating in the Contest. Neither the BPUB nor the Contest Parties shall be liable or responsible for technical problems or technical malfunctions arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest; hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Website in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the internet or the Website; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an e-mail account used in connection with the Contest.
BPUB and the Contest Parties shall not be responsible or liable for any typographical errors in the announcement of Winning Prizes or these rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Website. Use of the Website is at your own risk. BPUB and the Contest Parties shall not be responsible or liable for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to your or any other person's computer equipment resulting from participation in the Contest, use of the Website or the download of any information or Posters from the Website. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant releases BPUB and the Contest Parties from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant's participation in the Contest. By accepting a Winning Prize in the Contest, Winners agree that the BPUB and the Contest Parties shall not be liable for any loss or injury resulting from participation in the Contest, acceptance or use of any prize or any results of the use thereof to BPUB. Contest Parties shall not be liable in the event that any portion of the Contest is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, utilities failures or any other condition beyond their control.
Rules request: For a list of rules, please visit: http://goo.gl/gLs0Nd.
Sponsor: Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB).
2.5" 240x432 resolution Multi-Touch screen
16GB built-in storage capacity
Plays video and FM radio with Live Pause, Nike+ support built in with pedometer
Includes Apple EarPods, Lightning to USB cable
HP - 7 Plus Tablet - 8GB - Silver
7" multitouch screen with 1024 x 600 resolution
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system
0.3MP and 2.0MP cameras
2GB built-in storage capacity
On-device control pad
VoiceOver button, shuffle tells you the song or playlist you are listening to
Wearable player, great for workouts
- The Grand Prize winner for the contest will receive an iPod Nano and a certificate of participation. Winning artwork will be the official 2014 BPUB Public Power Month Poster.
- People’s Choice Posters winner will receive an HP 7 Plus Tablet and a certificate of participation.
- Honorable Mention poster winner will receive an iPod Shuffle and a certificate of participation.